How to Delete the EICAR Test Virus from your Computer
Okay. So you couldn’t resist it. You just had to try out the EICAR test virus to see if your virus scanning program worked. So you downloaded it and plunked it on your desktop and tried to run it.
Good news! If you have a major anti-virus program (like McAfee), chances are pretty good it stopped you. Great! Now its time to get rid of it from your beautiful desktop. So you hit the Delete key and… whoops.
“EICAR-test-virus has been blocked. Your computer has not been affected.”
Well, you can’t delete it so easily, can you? So you go to the EICAR.org site, and what does it tell you in its long page?
We understand (from the many emails we receive) that it might be difficult for you to delete the test file from your PC. After all, your scanner believes it is a virus infected file and does not allow you to access it anymore… …we are sorry to tell you that EICAR cannot and will not provide AV scanner specific support. The best source to get such information from is the vendor of the tool which you purchased.
Personally, my vendor (BitDefender) didn’t really provide help on this. Hmm. How do you get rid of it?
Well, here is my home-grown way of getting rid of it, among other test viruses. This tutorial assumes that your virus scanner has a quarantine.
How to Get RID of It (for Good)
- First, navigate to your virus software control panel.
- Find (usually under the Anti-virus tab) your quarantine.
- Open up that.
- Find somewhere where it says “Add to Quarantine”, a plus sign, or some button that will allow you to add files to the quarantine.
- Navigate to the EICAR test virus in the pop-up file browser that appears.
- Now the virus is in the quarantine (right)? Hopefully its moved to the quarantine and not just copied.
- Now find that file in your quarantine window.
- Select the file.
- Delete that now-in-quarantine file with a “Delete File from Quarantine” or minus sign button.
Well, now your EICAR file is gone. The next time you want to try it (I usually do once every three months, four every year), just follow these steps and you’ll be in good shape again.
Any other ideas? Rant in the comments.
If you liked this post, feel free to Digg, Del.icio.us, or favorite this post. Thanks. Your encouragement will keep me writing.